MIAMI (AP) — Residents of an eight-story condo building in Miami were ordered to evacuate after the building was deemed unsafe by city officials.
On Monday night, six weeks after 98 people died in the collapse of the Champlain Towers South condominium in nearby Surfside, residents of the 138-unit building lugged belongings to their vehicles, news outlets reported. They were ordered to be out by Tuesday morning.
“My grandfather just comes in the house screaming that we have to leave immediately,” said a resident identified by WSVN as Mya Ncastanedo. “If this building is demolished, there goes our property … and all our memories from growing up here.”
The building was put on notice July 7 for several violations, including failure to obtain its 40-year recertification as safe to occupy.
City officials told the Herald they’re working with residents to find temporary housing.
Since the Surfside collapse on June 24, residents from several South Florida buildings have been evacuated because of structural concerns.
On Tuesday morning, Gov. Ron DeSantis was in Surfside to hand out $1,000 checks to first responders who helped in the search and rescue mission following the collapse. The money was provided through a bill approved by the Florida Legislature earlier this year as a “thank you” to the first responders for all they’ve done throughout the coronavirus pandemic.