HONOLULU (AP) — The Latest on an investigation into a Hawaii man’s escape from a psychiatric hospital (all times local):
Hawaii’s health director says employees of a state psychiatric hospital were complacent about a man who was there for more than 40 years before he escaped to California.
Bruce Anderson says Randall Saito caused no problems before he walked out of Hawaii State Hospital last year and flew to California. Anderson says hospital staff members were collectively complacent about Saito.
A state investigation found no employee was directly responsible for the escape. Attorney General Russell Suzuki says no employee provided Saito with materials that helped Saito escape. Prosecutors have said Saito had a cell phone, cash and fake IDs.
Anderson says changes have been implemented at the hospital.
Saito was sent to the hospital in 1981 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity of killing a woman.
Suzuki says a redacted copy of the investigation report will be posted online later Wednesday or Thursday.