Pelosi, elected speaker 220-192, says U.S. voters “demanded a new dawn” in the November election that swept the Democrats to a House majority.
3. WHY NETANYAHU LOOKS TO BE CRUISING TOWARD RE-ELECTION
Part of the prime minister’s longevity is due to Israel’s splintered political and electoral system, which allows him to rule with no more than a quarter of the vote for his ruling Likud Party, though a legal ruling on corruption allegations against him looms.
4. THAILAND MAY BE HIT WITH WORST STORM SINCE 1989
Rain, winds and surging seawater buffeted coastal villages and world-famous tourist resorts as Tropical Storm Pabuk made landfall on southern Thailand’s east coast.
5. WHY A RHODES SCHOLAR AND ‘DREAMER’ FEARS UNCERTAINTY
The Trump administration rescinded the option for overseas travel for those with DACA status, so recent Harvard University graduate Jin Park may not be allowed back in the U.S. if he enrolls at the University of Oxford in England.
6. NAVY SEAL TO PLEAD NOT GUILTY TO MURDER CHARGE OF IS TEEN
Special Operations Chief Gallagher is also accused of posing with the teen’s corpse at his re-enlistment ceremony.
7. MANSON FOLLOWER RECOMMENDED FOR PAROLE
For the first time, a California parole panel says Robert Beausoleil should be freed after serving nearly a half-century in prison for murder, but California’s incoming governor, Gavin Newsom, could block the decision.
8. 7 KILLED AFTER FIERY CRASH, FUEL SPILL ON FLORIDA HIGHWAY
Two big rigs and two passenger vehicles collided on Interstate 75, sparking a massive fire.
9. CHINA BEGINS FIRST SURFACE EXPLORATION OF MOON’S FAR SIDE
The Jade Rabbit 2 rover drove off its lander’s ramp and onto the soft, snow-like surface.
10. WHO ENDED UCONN WOMEN’S 126-GAME WINNING STREAK
No. 8 Baylor topped UConn 68-57, handing the Huskies their first regular-season loss in more than four years.