CAIRO (AP) — The Latest on developments In Libya (all times local):
A proposed U.N. resolution demands that all parties in Libya immediately de-escalate the fighting and commit to a cease-fire.
The British-drafted resolution also calls on all parties to immediately re-commit to attending a U.N.-facilitated political dialogue “and work toward a comprehensive political solution to the crisis in Libya.”
The draft resolution, circulated to Security Council members and obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press, expresses “grave concern” at military activity near the capital Tripoli which began after Field Marshal Khalifa Hifter’s self-styled Libyan National Army launched its offensive on April 3.
It says the offensive “threatens the stability of Libya” and prospects for the national dialogue and a political solution in Libya and has had a “serious humanitarian impact.”
Security Council members have been divided over Hifter’s offensive.
The U.N. migration agency says recent clashes between rival Libyan militias for control of Tripoli have displaced more than 18,000 people.
U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Monday in New York that the International Organization for Migration reported that 13 civilians are among the 146 killed so far in clashes since the self-styled Libyan National Army launched a major military offensive on April 5.
Dujarric says around 3,000 migrants remain trapped in detention centers in and close to conflict areas.