BEIJING (AP) — The Latest on a virus outbreak that began in China (all times local):
The European Union commissioner for crisis management says the new virus that emerged in China creates a “worrisome” situation that will be discussed during a special meeting of health ministers from the 27-member bloc.
Speaking Monday in Brussels, Janez Lenarcic said the virus is spreading with great speed and poses a “serious danger for public health.”
He added that the meeting of health ministers will take place Thursday and will help coordinate the actions of member states.
The EU commission allocated 10 million euros last month to research the virus. Lenarcic said the EU will continue to offer China assistance in fighting the outbreak.
Lenarcic said more than 500 EU citizens have been repatriated to the continent since the outbreak started. China on Monday said 908 people have died of the virus on the mainland and over 40,170 have been infected. More than 440 cases have been confirmed outside mainland China, including two deaths in Hong Kong and the Philippines.
Britain has declared the new virus from China a “serious and imminent threat to public health” and announced new measures to combat the spread of the disease.
The Department of Health and Social Care on Monday said it would forcibly detain infected people if necessary. It also named two British hospitals as isolation facilities for those affected by the disease.