MONTMELO, Spain (AP) — The director of the track that hosts the Spanish Grand Prix says the circuit’s owners are seeking to strike a new deal with Formula One management amid speculation that the race’s days are numbered.
Barcelona-Catalunya Circuit director Joan Fontserè tells The Associated Press that negotiations have been ongoing since regional government authorities met with Formula One Group CEO and Chairman Chase Carey in March.
“Since then we have been working with a team from (FI management) to identify their needs and ours,” Fontserè said on Friday.
The previous contract agreed to by ownership led by the government for Spain’s northeastern Catalonia region and former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone runs out this year. Attendance has also fallen from 140,000 spectators attending the 2007 Spanish GP to 90,000 last year.
Those factors have sparked rumors that another race could replace the Spanish GP. Media reports point to the possibility of F1 adding a Dutch GP to the calendar.