The qualifying event for the remaining three places will be held in next year.
“There has been no women’s international cricket played since the conclusion of the Women’s T20 World Cup (in March) and due to the varying impact of COVID-19 globally that is likely to remain the situation for a number of the teams,” ICC chief executive Manu Sawhney said in a statement.
“Moving the event by 12 months gives all competing teams the chance to play a sufficient level of cricket ahead of both the qualification event and leading into a Cricket World Cup so the integrity of the tournament is maintained.”
On Saturday, Cricket Australia interim chief executive Nick Hockley faced several questions about India’s possible influence in the men’s 2021 T20 World Cup decision during a media teleconference. The first question was whether it had been “India’s call” to host the next T20 World Cup instead of Australia.
“It was an ICC decision, made by the ICC board,” Hockley said. “We have to respect that India had the hosting rights for the 2021 event. In many ways, hosting in 2022 in Australia gives us an even better chance of putting on the event we originally planned for. We’re just pleased that we have some certainty.”
Hockley was also asked whether the traditional Boxing Day test in Melbourne against India was in jeopardy of being moved because of the big increase in COVID-19 cases in Melbourne over the past month, forcing a lockdown in the city and an overnight curfew.