STRASBOURG, France (AP) — The Latest on France attack aftermath and death of suspect (all times local):
The Paris prosecutor’s office says a fourth person has died following Tuesday’s attack in Strasbourg.
The prosecutor’s office did not reveal the identity of the fourth person who died on Friday but said the victim was among the injured in the shooting and previously described as “in critical condition.”
The main suspect of the attack that took place near Strasbourg’s Christmas Market was killed by police on Thursday night.
The Christmas market in Strasbourg has reopened amid tight security a day after the gunman suspected of killing three people in an attack earlier this week was shot dead by police.
The main suspect, Cherif Chekatt, was killed on Thursday after he opened fire on officers during a police operation.
The site of Tuesday’s attack was close to Strasbourg’s famous Christmas market, which was closed during the manhunt for Chekatt.
Interior Minister Christophe Castaner attended the reopening and had a stroll in the market to meet with shopkeepers.
Access to the market has been reduced while extra police officers and military have been deployed to the site in addition to private security guards.
Castaner said authorities decided to reopen the Christmas market “for the honor of Strasbourg, for the honor of France.”
Investigators looking into the Strasbourg attack are trying to establish whether the main suspect was helped by accomplices while on the run, Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said Friday.
The prosecutor, who handles terror cases throughout France, told a news conference on Friday that seven people are in police custody, including four family members of Cherif Chekatt. The 29-year-old was shot dead on Thursday during a police operation which took place in the Neudorf neighborhood of the city.
“We want to reconstruct the past 48 hours in order to find out whether he got some support,” Heitz said.
The immediate aftermath of the shootout between French security forces and the suspect in the Strasbourg attack has been caught on camera from across the street, with video footage showing armed officers at the scene and the body of the man slumped in a doorway.
More officers arrive at the scene soon after, followed by crime scene investigators who take photos of the body and the surroundings.
The Paris prosecutor’s office, which handles terror cases in France, formally identified the man on Thursday as 29-year-old Cherif Chekatt, a Strasbourg-born man with a long history of convictions for various crimes, including robberies. Chekatt also had been on a watch list of potential extremists.
Chekatt was suspected of killing three people and wounding 13 near Strasbourg’s Christmas market on Tuesday night.