WARSAW, Poland (AP) — Doctors at Poland’s main children’s hospital said Thursday a 5-year-old Afghan boy, recently evacuated from Kabul, has died and his 6-year-old brother, who has undergone a liver transplant, remains in life-threatening condition after they ate poisonous mushrooms.
The boys and their older sister were hospitalized last week. The family picked and ate highly poisonous death cap mushrooms in the forest around the refugee center where they were staying in Podkowa Lesna, near Warsaw.
Doctors at the Center for Children’s Health Institute in Warsaw said the older brother successfully underwent a liver transplant but that the damage to his brain was significant and life-threatening.
The younger brother was pronounced dead. Doctors said the parents were at the hospital, under psychological care.