In today’s Federal Newscast, the Office of Personnel Management’s inspector general says the agency is not keeping a good enough eye on the companies its contracted for identity theft protection.
Identity theft protection coverage with ID Experts will continue for victims of the Office of Personnel Management’s 2015 cyber breaches, the company announced Tuesday.
Individuals enrolled in the Office of Personnel Management’s free identity protection service don’t need to take action while recompetes its existing contract over the next six months. OPM’s existing contract was supposed to expire on Dec. 31, 2018.
The Office of Personnel Management didn’t have a decision-making policy in place to help it decide when and how to offer identity theft and credit monitoring services to victims of the 2015 cyber breaches. More than a year later, the agency still doesn’t have a plan.
The Office of Personnel Management and its contractor, Winvale/CSID, can’t agree on just how many people need to re-enroll with a new vendor to keep credit monitoring and identity protection services, and they haven’t yet finalized a plan to smoothly transition those victims to the new service provider, ID Experts.
The Office of Personnel Management said it’s notifying about 100,000 to 150,000 cyber breach victims enrolled in credit monitoring services with Winvale/CSID that their coverage will soon expire.
The Office of Personnel Management hopes a redesigned FAQ section will make it easier for victims of the two cyber breaches to access online information on how to protect themselves. OPM also sent a letter to those impacted by the breach, highlighting the work that’s been done to strengthen credit monitoring and identity theft insurance in the year since the breaches were announced.
New numbers from the Office of Personnel Management show that only about 2.7 million people — or roughly 11 percent — out of the 21.5 million victims of the two OPM data breaches last year have enrolled in free identity protection services.
The Office of Personnel Management Tuesday opened its online answer desk for potential victims of the massive data breach. So far, OPM says it has sent out more than 17 million letters to victims.
The Office of Personnel Management and Department of Defense have awarded a $133 million contract to help protect the personal information of people impacted by the cyber breach.