IT programs must include multi-disciplinary teams, including agency leaders and professionals in the IT, acquisition, financial management and legal departments.
10. Collaboration platform
The Federal CIO Council will develop an onlint portal to share best practices.
11. Technology Fellows Program
CIOs will recruit by partnering with universities with “well-recognized” technology programs.
12. IT program manager mobility
Agencies will offer rotational opportunities to share knowledge and expertise across government.
Align Acquisitions with Technology Cycle
13. Cadre of specialized IT acquisition professional
The Office of Federal Procurement and CIOs will design training for acquisition professionals to develop specialized knowledge to speed up complex IT acquisitions.
14. OFPP to develop IT acquisition best practices
15. Contracting guidance for modular development
OFPP will develop templates and samples for modular contracting practices that allows flexibility for evolving technical requirements.
16. Increase opportunities for small tech companies
Align Budget Process with Technology Cycle
17. Work with Congress on flexible IT budget models
18. Develop supporting materials for flexible IT budget models
The Federal CIO council will create “playbooks” with best practices for this kind of funding.
19. Scale flexible IT budget models more broadly
20. Consolidate commodity IT spending under CIO
21. Strengthen Investment Review Boards
These boards were created to evaluate the results of major IT investments. The plan calls for restructuring the boards to the “TechStat” model.
22. Redefine role of CIO
CIOs’ role will shift from mostly policymaking and infrastructure maintenance to portfolio management. Agencies must terminate at least one-third of their poorly performing projects.
“TechStat” model at bureau level
CIOs and agency leaders will roll out tools and training for TechStat-like sessions.
Engagement with Industry
24. “Myth-busters” campaign
Myths that industry and government can’t engage with each other creates an “artificial barrier” and reduces agencies’ access to market information, the plan states. OFPP issued a memo in January 2011 that supported discussions and outreach efforts with key stakeholders.
25. Interactive platform for pre-RFP collaboration
GSA will launch a governmentwide, online platform for agencies to tap into industry knowledge prior to issuing a request for proposal.